Connection Keeper Revision History
Version 19.0 (November 12th, 2019)
- Added the ability to test POP3 logins.
- Added support for TLS 1.3
- FTP testing: added the ability to use an encrypted SSL/TLS connection.
- FTP testing: added the ability to check for the existence of a folder. Use the same syntax as for testing a file, but append a trailing slash.
- Added the "Reset Settings" tool to the File menu.
- Previously a "smtp:" URL in the Sites List would try SSL/TLS but considered it optional. Now it will only be tried if the URL begins with "smtps:".
- Most windows now calculate their width as a factor of the interface font size. Previously they were a factor of the screen size. This ensures that windows are the optimal size, even when the font is very small or very large relative to the screen.
- The Popup table now supports mouse tilt wheel.
- Numerous minor interface improvements.
- Fixed: Import Settings: this was not enabling/disabling controls as appropriate.
- Fixed: no error was occurring if a test on the Sites tab was not a recognized type.
- Fixed: unminimizing on a secondary monitor was moving the window to the primary monitor.
- Fixed: Help: Print: some hyperlinks were not followed by the page number.
- Fixed a minor memory leak.
- Fixed: the "No Caption" option was not always working correctly.
Version 18.0 (October 10th, 2018)
- Added the ability to test an FTP download. An ftp:// URL in the Sites tab can now specify a path and filename. Previously it was only possible to test the login.
- Added the ability to test HTTP redirects.
- Added the ability to test SMTP logins.
- Improved the appearance of the Failure Notice emails.
- SNMP stats: added the "TCP active connections" stat.
- Added a "Speak" tool to the Help viewer.
- Added the "Hyperborean" skin. Numerous skin improvements.
- The "Status" tab now updates instantly after unminimizing.
- Query All: the error window's OK button is now labeled "Abort".
- Help: added the "Rectangle" Selection Mode, which is useful for copying columns of text.
- Query All: the mouse cursor no longer changes to an hourglass.
- Added a button to the Popup Killer table that opens the context menu.
- The /? command line switch will now display the help file chapter on the command line.
- Fixed: Query All: the Abort button was not always responding to clicks.
- Fixed a rare stack overflow.
Version 17.0 (September 18th, 2017)
- Added support for HTTPS.
- Added the ability to test an FTP login. An ftp:// URL can be specified on the Sites tab.
- List Windows: for each window, this now reports the filepath of the executable.
- Report External IP: this now also reports the domain (PTR record) for the external IP address.
- Numerous interface improvements, especially regarding 4K monitors.
- Added the /kill command line switch which directs the /c switch to abruptly terminate the process.
- Events logged in Event Viewer now reference the user.
- Import/Export Settings: the file no longer appears in the Start Menu Recent Files list.
- Added the "Clipboard Inspector" tool to the Interface menu.
- Changed the colors of the animated "infinity hourglass" to a rainbow.
- Queries are no longer performed if there is a popup window present.
- Now supports installation to a path that contains unicode characters.
- Fixed: when fetching certain DNS records, it was possible that a trailing semi-colon was clipped from the result.
- Fixed: when maximized, the window's border could possibly be visible on a secondary monitor.
- Fixed: possible window flicker on 4K monitors, or when many System-G windows are open, or when kernel memory becomes scarce.
Version 16.0 (November 28th, 2016)
- Popup Killer: added the ability to control the interval at which Connection Keeper looks for popup windows. Previously it was hard coded at 2.5 seconds.
- Popup Killer: added the ability to forcefully terminate a process.
- Email Errors To: added a button that takes you to where the relaying SMTP server is configured.
- SNMP stats: each networking adapter is now listed, along with some information.
- Backlink checking: the backlink is now considered invalid if it contains a "rel=nofollow" attribute.
- Settings are now automatically saved after 30 minutes of idle time. This helps prevent their loss in the event of a power failure.
- The animated "infinity hourglass" is now more colorful.
- Added 32 tools to the System Tools tool.
- Fixed: rarely, balloon help was not appearing promptly, or not at all.
- Fixed: executables were signed with a revoked SHA1 cert. Because the SHA256 cert is valid, this would only be reported to the user on systems prior to Win7.
Version 15.0 (February 18th, 2016)
- Added the ability to monitor the hyperlinks on a webpage. This is useful for informing you when a website removes its link to your website.
- Improved the appearance of icons. Changed from 8-bit GIF's to higher resolution 32-bit PNG's. Many icons have been redesigned.
- Added the "Report External IP" tool.
- There is now an animated indicator in the center of the window while a query is being executed.
- Numerous minor interface improvements.
- The "Unminimize On Error" option has moved from the Options menu to a checkbox control on the Settings tab.
- The installer/uninstaller will now close Connection Keeper automatically to prevent a reboot unless "No Caption" is checked.
- Fixed: a DLL injection security vulnerability.
- Fixed: some pairs of characters, in certain fonts, were displayed too close together.
- Fixed: a rare but serious problem could cause a window to render incorrectly.
Version 14.1 (November 6th, 2014)
- Fixed: popup killer: crash if the Window Caption column is blank.
Version 14.0 (October 31st, 2014)
- Added the ability to export and import all of Connection Keeper's settings. This is useful for transferring the configuration to a different computer, or creating a backup.
- Added the "Limit Reconnection Attempts" option to the Status tab.
- Added the "Retry" button to the "Query Failed" error window.
- Added the "Unminimize On Error" option to the Options menu.
- Added the "Record Connection Events" option to the Options menu. If checked, when the connection is lost or restored, Connection Keeper will record an event in the Windows Event Log.
- Added the "No Caption" option to the Options menu. This determines if the title "Connection Keeper" is displayed in the window caption.
- Choosing "Disconnect" from the File menu will no longer uncheck the "Auto-Reconnect" box. Instead, the Auto-Reconnect feature will simply be ignored until the user chooses "Connect" from the File menu.
- Redesigned the Default skin. The old skin was renamed "Air".
- Added a first-time greeting window.
- When enabling "Launch At Startup", if there is an error, it will now be reported.
- Fixed: the caption/taskbar icon was not always changing during queries and errors.
- Fixed: the "Limit Keep-Alive Duration" feature was stopping queries about 25% too soon.
Version 13.1 (January 3rd, 2014)
- Added an "Import From CSV File" tool to the Popup Killer table.
- The "Log Errors To File" field now supports Environment Variables.
- Fixed: rare crash when opening a sub-menu.
Version 13.0 (August 21st, 2013)
- The Popup Killer now supports substring searching of the Window Caption. Simply put an asterisk (*) at the beginning of the Window Caption column.
- Added the ability to query NS records.
- Minor interface improvements.
- Added the "Reset DNS Cache" tool.
- When running the "Query All" tool, and an error occurs, the error window now has a "Continue" button that will allow you to resume the operation.
- Added the "Help" button to the bottom of the window.
- When querying a DNS record, CK now instructs the operating system to not used cached records.
- The "/qa" switch now takes care to prevent a second instance from spawning.
- The rows of the Popup Killer table can now be rearranged.
- Added the "System Tools" launcher to the Interface menu.
- The Status Banner is now drawn with a color gradient instead of a solid color.
- When an error occurs, the icon is now drawn with a red bar.
- Connection Keeper now obeys the "Run" shortcut property, which can instruct the window to be initially minimized or maximized.
- Connection Keeper should now be able to tolerate crashes in the operating system's SNMP API.
- Added the "/max" command line switch, which will cause the window to be initially maximized.
- Fixed: the window caption icon was not always drawing the solid bar while issuing a query.
- Fixed: the "Send Keystrokes" popup killer method was not always working on windows that have a parent.
- Fixed: upon the first execution, the Query Mode field would have no drop-down list.
Version 12.1 (February 7th, 2013)
- Fixed a rare stack overflow (since 12.0).
Version 12.0 (February 4th, 2013)
- Major interface improvements. Improved all skins.
- Added the "Status Banner" which displays whether or not Connection Keeper is keeping the connection alive, or if the connection is lost. Added the "Show Status Banner" option to the Options menu.
- Added the ability to test DNS records from the command line.
- All settings are now kept in a file instead of the registry, which is more reliable due to security issues.
- When Internet access is restored, all DNS caches are now reset.
- The "Email Errors To" feature now obeys the System-G SMTP settings (Interface menu > Configuration Editor > Settings > Networking > SMTP). If these are blank, Direct Delivery is used just as before.
- The "Email Errors To" feature now includes an "Auto-Submitted:" header in order to suppress auto-responses.
Version 11.3 (April 11th, 2012)
- Numerous interface improvements.
- The "Email Errors To" field now supports multiple email addresses. Separate them with a comma or semi-colon.
- When a query error occurs, the popup window is now displayed after the error is logged and emailed.
- When the Internet connection is lost, a DNS resolution error was remaining cached for 1 hour, making it necessary to close and restart Connection Keeper. This cache lifetime has been reduced to 1 minute.
Version 11.2 (September 26th, 2011)
- Added the "/close" command line switch. When specified along with the "/qa" switch, Connection Keeper will terminate immediately after the Query All tool is finished.
- Fixed: if the computer runs more than 24 days without rebooting, Connection Keeper would begin issuing a query every 2.5 seconds.
- Fixed: the tray context menu was not responding to keystrokes, and not disappearing when the user clicks away (since 11.0).
- Fixed: when "Animate Tray Icon" is unchecked, the tray icon was showing a solid bar even after the query finishes.
Version 11.1 (August 1st, 2011)
- Fixed: on the first run, the window position was not being initialized properly (since 11.0).
Version 11.0 (July 1st, 2011)
- Major interface improvements, too many to list. Added support for Aero Glass (Vista/2008/7). Improved appearance, layout, margins, skins.
- The tabs have been replaced with a row of buttons.
- Added a high resolution shell icon for Vista/2008/7.
- Added the /qa command line switch, which causes the "Query All" tool to run immediately.
- Added the "View Error Log" option to the File menu.
- Added a hotkey for the "Query All" tool: F7.
- The Method column now defaults to "WM_CLOSE".
- Care is now taken to not issue queries while the user is editing the Sites List.
- When the Query Now button is clicked, a query will be issued even if the operating system is reporting that there is no Internet connection.
- Fixed: the "Auto-Minimize On Startup" option was always minimizing Connection Keeper to the tray, contrary to the documentation. It will now only minimize to the tray if the "Minimize to Tray" box (on the Window menu) is checked, as documented. Also, it will now minimize silently, and without briefly appearing on the screen.
- Fixed: the /wmclose and /wmquit command line switches were not working properly.
Version 10.0 (September 13th, 2010)
- Added the "Query All" tool to the File menu.
- Added support for verifying the contents of a DNS record. In the Sites List, follow the URL with a tab, then the correct value of the DNS record.
- Added support for querying a DNS blacklist. The Sites List can contain a URL with the "dnsbl://" prefix followed by a domain name or IP address.
- Added additional command-line switches for closing windows. The /wmclose switch will close the window by sending a WM_CLOSE message. The /wmquit switch will close the window by sending a WM_QUIT message. The /keys switch will send keystrokes to the window.
- Added the "Popup" menu.
- Added the "Favorites" tab to the help file.
- When a command line is specified, other instances of Connection Keeper will no longer close.
- The Default skin now conforms with the appearance of Windows 7. The original default skin has been renamed "Experience".
- Numerous improvements to the "Check For Update" tool.
- The Send Feedback and Report Exception features now use HTTP to deliver the information to Gammadyne. The old SMTP method is only used as a fallback if HTTP fails. This is necessary because some ISP's only allow SMTP to their own mail servers.
- Fixed some minor incompatibility issues with Vista/2008/7.
Version 9.1 (April 12th, 2010)
- Added the F5 hotkey for issuing a query.
- Added the F6 hotkey for killing popup windows.
- Fixed: the installer was not requiring administrator elevation on Vista/2008/7 (since 9.0).
Version 9.0 (March 24th, 2010)
- Added the ability to query DNS records.
- Added the "/min" switch, which will cause the main window to be minimized.
- Added the ability to "comment out" a line in the Sites list by placing a semi-colon at the beginning of the line.
- Most icons have been replaced or improved.
- The "Log Errors To File" feature now maintains the log in CSV format. It will also include the error code and error message.
- If an error occurs when querying a URL, the query interval will start over after the error window is closed.
- A query error will now format the current date/time using the computer's locale settings.
- Improved the installer's appearance.
- Fixed: while minimized to the tray, choosing "Keep Connection Alive" from the context menu was causing the tray icon to revert to a taskbar button.
Version 8.1 (August 31st, 2009)
- The controls on the Settings tab are now organized into groups.
- Only one instance of Connection Keeper is now allowed to run.
- Numerous skin improvements.
- The installer is now digitally signed.
- Fixed: the Minimize To Tray feature would fail if no other windows are open.
- Fixed: the "Auto-minimize on startup" option was sometimes not working during system bootup.
Version 8.0 (April 2nd, 2009)
- Added to the Popup Killer the ability to send a series of keystrokes to a window, or a WM_QUIT or WM_CLOSE message.
- Added the "Ignore" column to the Popup Killer.
- Added the "Kill Popups" button to the bottom of the Popup Killer Table.
- The executable is now digitally signed.
- Numerous interface improvements.
- Numerous improvements to the installer.
- Restored support for Windows 95.
- The "Max Query Time" setting was renamed "Query Timeout".
Version 7.4 (August 21st, 2008)
- Balloon help has been totally revamped.
- The help file has been reviewed and improved.
- Fixed: rare installer crash (since 7.3).
Version 7.3 (May 20th, 2008)
- Numerous user interface improvements. Please press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F5 to reset SystemG, then reload your preferred skin.
- Improved icons and icon rendering.
- Added the "Metal" skin.
- The installer will now warn if it does not have admin rights. It will also attempt to loosen the security settings on the installation directory (to prevent problems with Vista).
- All API calls into WININET.DLL are now made within an exception trap so that they cannot crash Connection Keeper.
- Fixed: the "Log errors to file" field's Browse tool will now allow the user to specify a non-existent file.
- Fixed: possible crash on Vista when enumerating DUN connections.
- Fixed: selecting and copying text in the help file did not always work properly.
Version 7.2 (July 31st, 2007)
- The version number as reported on the About window was incorrect.
Version 7.1 (July 11th, 2007)
- Numerous user interface/skin improvements. The "Default" skin has been redesigned to match the appearance of Windows XP.
- Fixed a possible crash on launch.
- The ability to specify a port number in the Sites List is now documented.
Version 7.0 (November 6th, 2006)
- Added SNMP statistics to the "Status" folder.
- All interface fonts are now antialiased by default. The setting to control this is located at: System-G Menu > Configuration Editor > Controls > Font > Antialias.
- Improved and added skins (please reload your current skin).
- Numerous user interface improvements.
- Eliminated the need for GHELP.EXE. The main application executable will now handle displaying the help file. This reduces the size of the installer by about 500 KB.
Version 6.3 (April 19th, 2005)
- Added to the help file a description of the "Options" menu.
- Button icons now have a transparent background.
- Made some changes to the tray context menu.
- Numerous user interface improvements.
- Lower CPU utilization.
Version 6.2 (May 24th, 2004)
- Added various menu and button icons.
- Added to the "List Windows" tool the ability to alphabetize the list of windows by caption or class.
- Updated to System-G version 2.3.
- There is no longer a default Sites List.
Version 6.1 (October 15th, 2003)
- In the event that a query fails, the operating system error code and error message are now reported. This also applies to the "Email Errors To" feature.
- The "Auto-Reconnect" feature will now be ignored if the user manually disconnects, or if the "Limit keep alive duration" setting causes a disconnect.
- When the user instructs Connection Keeper to connect, the "Limit keep-alive duration" setting will now start over.
- When the user alters the "Limit keep-alive duration" setting, the keep-alive period will now start over.
- Numerous minor improvements.
- Updated to System-G version 2.1.
Version 6.0 (January 7th, 2003)
- Added the "Email Errors To" feature.
- Added the "Run at startup" feature to the "Options" menu.
- Added the ability to enter a range of numbers in the "Query Interval" field so that you can specify your own random interval.
- Added support to System-G for interface "skins". We strongly recommend that you try some of the new skins on the "Skins" submenu of the "System-G" menu.
- Added a new Help file system. This system has the following advantages over the old Windows Help System:
- The entire help file can be printed at once, instead of by topic only.
- When printed, the page number that a hyperlink is pointing to will be printed.
- Unprecedented control over how the document is printed, including base font size and margins.
- Hyperlinks to web pages and email addresses are now supported.
- The keyword search supports full search expressions, such as:
"mail server" and (smtp or pop3) and -dns
- Added the "FAQ's" and "View Revision History" options to the Help menu.
- The window caption icon and taskbar icon will now change appearance when a query is being issued.
- Numerous improvements to the System-G interface.
- Fixed a problem with the tray context menu not disappearing when the user clicks on another window.
Version 5.0 (March 7th, 2002)
- Added the "Connect", "Disconnect", and "Query Now" options to Connection Keeper's context menu. This menu is displayed when the user right clicks on the Window Caption, Taskbar button, and System Tray icon.
- Added the "Disconnect After Time Limit" setting to the Query folder.
- Added the "/d" command line switch which will download a web page and report any errors.
- Added the "/f" command line switch which check for the existence of a file and report any errors.
- Added the "Save settings" option to the file menu.
- Added to the "Check For Update" feature the ability to automatically download and install the new version.
- Previously, to add a System-G setting, source code had to be written in about 25 different locations. New settings can now be added by writing just 2 lines of code. The bad news is that old .SGC and .GCS files are no longer compatible with the new scheme. The good news is that the new .SGS files that replace .SGC and .GCS files are plain text, not a proprietary binary format. This means that .SGS files can be easily edited using Notepad. To prove that these changes are worthwhile, the following settings have been added:
- Enhanced 3D borders
- Borderless checkboxes
- Borderless radio buttons
- Show balloon help on captions
- Minimize on double click
- Sizable window border thickness
- Static window border thickness
- Black window edge
Version 4.2 (June 1st, 2001)
- Added the ability to close a popup window from the command line.
- Added the "Log Errors" option to the Settings folder.
- The tray icon will now show a solid bar while a query is being issued.
- Numerous System-G improvements.
- Connection Keeper is now careful not to issue a query or try auto-reconnecting while the system is shutting down.
- Fixed a problem with the tray context menu not disappearing.
- Fixed a problem with the "Ordered URL" Query Mode not cycling through the web sites properly.
Version 4.1 (July 7th, 2000)
- Added the "List Windows" button to the bottom of the popup killer table. This feature now recursively enumerates all child windows in addition to top-level windows.
- Numerous improvements to the System-G interface.
- The dial-up connections are now properly enumerated under Windows NT/2000 for the "Use non-default connection" setting.
- Connection Keeper now randomizes its own window class to prevent detection. As a result, you can now run more than one instance of Connection Keeper. Also, the taskbar icon will not contain any text (to avoid detection).
- Fixed a potential fault when Connection Keeper is terminated.
Version 4.0 (January 7th, 2000)
- Major upgrade to the System-G Interface.
- Added the "Use non-default connection" option to the "Query" folder. This allows you to make Connection Keeper use a different DUN connection.
- Added the "Keep connection alive" option to the "Query" folder. It permits you to temporarily disable the keep-alive feature. Right clicking on the taskbar tray icon can also control this setting.
- Added the "Initial query delay" option to the "Query" folder. This allows you to control how long Connection Keeper waits before issuing its first query.
- Added the "Connect" and "Disconnect" options to the context menu that appears when you right click on Connection Keeper's tray icon.
- Added the "Window Class" column to the popup killer table. This allows you an alternative to identifying a window by its caption.
- Added the "List all windows" option to the "File" menu. This lists the caption and class of all windows that are currently open. You may then select a window and have it automatically added to the popup killer.
- Added the "Limit keep-alive duration" option to the "Query" folder. This allows you to stop Connection Keeper from issuing queries after a specified time limit.
- When the "Disconnect" option is selected from the "File" menu, the "Auto-reconnect" box will now automatically be unchecked so that Connection Keeper doesn't immediately try to dial back in.
- You are now permitted to include the "http://" prefix in the Sites List, even though it is not necessary.
Version 3.3 (August 26th, 1999)
- Fixed a bug that would prevent the system from shutting down if Connection Keeper was open.
- Fixed a possible protection fault when Connection Keeper is shut down.
- Added the "Auto-disconnect on exit" option in the "Options" menu.
- You can now enter fractional values for the Query Interval.
Version 3.2 (June 4th, 1999)
- The auto-reconnect function was not reconnecting after the first time (OOPS!).
- After discovering that the DOS "start" command is not consistent between Windows NT and 9x, another method is being used to send feedback and go to the Gammadyne Homepage.
Version 3.1 (June 1st, 1999)
- Added the default lists for the popup-killer. We need your feedback to expand these lists for commonly encountered popup windows.
- Fixed problem with saving settings when the operating system is shut down.
- Various improvements made to System-G.
- System-G now has a help file.
- Added the "Disconnect" option.
- The Auto-reconnect function now has a safeguard that prevents it from creating a dial-up connection window more than once.
- There is now a 15 second delay after Connection Keeper is started before the Auto-reconnect feature will attempt to dial in. This gives the system time to finish booting up if Connection Keeper is automatically started during bootup.
Version 3.0 (April 8th, 1999)
- The "Auto-minimize on startup" option was added.
- The "Ordered URL" Query Mode was added.
- The "Popup" folder and all its functionality was added.
- There is now a 10 second delay before Connection Keeper issues its first query, giving you time to change settings.
Version 2.0 (March 16th, 1999)
- Added the "Max Query Time" option.
- Fixed bug that could cause the "Check for update" option to crash or hang.
- Added the "Animate tray icon" option. Unchecking this option will save a small amount of CPU time.
- New features have been added to the System-G menu. These features do not affect Connection Keeper directly.
- Added the "Trust Connection Status" option.
- Connection Keeper is no longer statically linked to WININET.DLL, it is now dynamically linked. If WININET.DLL does not exist, instead of the worthless operating system error message, Connection Keeper will report to the user that they need to install either the latest operating system service pack or the core components for Internet Explorer 4.0.
- If Report Errors is checked and an error does occur, Connection Keeper will try to force itself to the foreground.
- The "Load Default Sites" option was added.
- Editboxes now have an "undo" option.
Version 1.2 (February 18th, 1999)
- Improved help file.
- Added the "Report errors" option.
- Tool tips and combo boxes will now respect the taskbar's space.
- Added the "Window" menu.
- Added the "Status" folder.
- Added the "Auto-Reconnect" feature.
Version 1.1 (February 15th, 1999)
- Added the Query Mode, Read Entire Page, and Sites List.
- Added the Query Now button.
- Connection Keeper will now work on machines that are connected via a proxy server, even though there is no reason to do so. Connection Keeper should only be run on the machine that has the modem.
- Added the help file.
- Original release February 10th, 1999.